Home Rehabilitation Grants
We work in local partnerships to administer home rehabilitation programs throughout Tompkins County, New York. Low- to moderate-income homeowners of any age receive assistance in making significant repairs to their homes.
How it Works
- Income eligible Tompkins County NY homeowners may apply for rehabilitation assistance. Funding availability varies from year to year and is awarded on a first-eligible, first-served basis.
- Application and all required documentation must be provided before your home can be inspected to determine final eligibility.
- Structural issues, health and safety concerns and energy improvements are addressed within the limits of the funding regulations.
- A lien, equal to the amount of assistance provided, is placed on the property for a specified length of time.
- Rehabilitation is done by local, pre-qualified, fully insured private contractors from a list maintained by INHS. Work may include roofing, siding, windows,doors, wells, septic system repair/replacement, energy-saving improvements, and other structural issues.
2017: NEW FUNDING AVAILABLE!
INHS recently received grant funding through New York State’s Access to Home program to help the elderly or disabled modify their homes so that they can “age in place” safely.
Improvements include ramps, lifts, handrails, widening doorways, levered door handles, walk-in showers, shower seats, grab bars, higher toilets, accessible appliances, sinks and storage, non-skid flooring, lighting, and walkway repairs. Other work can be done based on the nature of the homeowner’s disability.
- The household includes an occupant that has a permanent, medically documented, disability or has substantial difficulty with daily living activity because of aging.
- House must be owner-occupied and located in Tompkins County.
- Medical disabilities must be documented by a physician.
- Single family homes, including mobile homes in parks. Rental units allowed if landlord agrees to regulations.
- Low to moderate income – please contact Patrick at 607-277-4500 ext. 216 for more information.
Average grants to clients are $12,000 to $25,000. Please fill out the below application to begin the process.
If interested, please complete and sign the pre-application below. You will be placed on a waitlist for assistance consideration. All participants will have a lien placed on their property for 2, 5, or 10 years, based on the amount of assistance provided.